Monday 29 January 2018

A Culchie Goes To: Amsterdam

Well well well it’s been a while. I’m not going to offer any excuses because frankly I have no excuse, I just haven’t felt like writing any blog posts. However, my latest trip to Amsterdam has encouraged me to return to the world of blogging. So here we go.

We arrived Sunday afternoon and quickly made our way to the hostel we were staying. A hostel! (Yes i know) I can already imagine your exclamations. However to my complete surprise the hostel was fabulous for the price we paid. We stayed in the stayokay hostel in Zeeburg, which is around 10 minutes away by tram to Amsterdam central and less than 15 minutes to Dam square. The hostel location was brilliant.

One of my biggest problems before going on my trip was packing! I really don’t seem to understand how to pack lightly. So for this trip I challenged myself and surprisingly I achieved it. I planned all my outfits in advance and this ensured I had less clothes to keep track of or cluttering up my suitcase.

Amsterdam was freezing but what’s beauty without a little pain! On our first day I wore a pair of navy culottes and a flower patterned silk shirt which added a bit of life to my otherwise plain outfit.





The next day I decided to defy the weather and wear a skirt and of course the weather was even worse than the previous day. At least I looked fab before I became drenched by the rain.The beret I wore pulled the whole outfit together and turned my minimalist outfit into modern Parisian chic. I’m not a huge fan of accessories but I’ve recently started loving hats and I’m looking forward to adding more to my collection.




For the last day, I decided to be a bit more prepared for the weather (well my version of being prepared for the weather). Plaid was very in this winter and I decided to have a go at the trend. I paired these plaid culottes with a white off the shoulder blouse. Sadly you can’t really see the beauty of the blouse because it’s was raining and although I don’t mind braving a bit of the cold, I wasn’t really interested in catching pneumonia.





 Even though the weather in Amsterdam was less than ideal. I wore two wrap dresses during my trip. Wrap dresses are one of my travelling essentials because they take up barely any space in your suitcase! Also you can easily dress them up by slipping on some heels and a pair diamond earrings or down by teaming them with your favorite chucks and a denim jacket. I wore mine with wool tights and fishnets when I was feeling a bit adventurous. I also added a bit of glam by wearing my trusty faux fur coat and a pair of knee high boots. I am truly of the belief that faux fur can turn even the most mud loving hillbilly into a city girl dashing out for cocktails with the girls. If you don’t have at least one faux fur coat, I suggest you go out and buy one (or many) while the winter sales are still going on as shops try to clear out the winter stock for spring.






Amsterdam is known for its beautiful canals and I wasn’t let down. The canals are the perfect background for selfies or group photos. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to do a canal cruise but at least that gives me an actual reason to return to Amsterdam besides just loving the city.




I also had the opportunity to go to the Ice Bar. When I say it’s cold believe me it’s cold! I could barely stay our full allocated time. One little tip try to take your selfies as quick as possible unless you want your fingers to fall off with frost bite! As part of the ticket you also get three drinks which helps a small bit to warm you up or make you a bit too drunk to not care that your eyelashes are turning into icicles.



While in Amsterdam also take the time to go to a market. Markets are the best places to see Dutch culture at its finest and get the best deals. I got some really nice souvenirs for half the price of what they were being sold in the city. Markets are also a good place to try some Dutch delicacies. I’m pretty sure I had the best waffle in the world while I was at a market and I’ll surely return for that reason alone.




Visiting the Anne Frank House was perhaps the most memorable part of the trip. As you walk through a reconstructed version of the house Anne Frank lived for two years while in hiding, her story will both inspire you and make your cry as you hear the hopes and dreams of a young girl whose life was shortened by a force that sought to oppress her just because of her faith. Whether your an atheist or a staunch believer, Black or white or any race, Anne Frank’s story will touch a part of you that you never knew existed or hoped to hide.

That's all for now, hopefully I'll be back soon! Don't forget to show some love on my Instagram @culchiecouture
Aisha xx

Outfit 1
Culottes - Penneys
Blouse - Zara

Outfit 2
Skirt - Topshop
Halter neck - H & M
Beret - H & M
Boots - Public Desire

Outfit 3 
Culottes - New Look
Blouse - Zara 
Coat - Zara 

Wrap Dresses - Penneys

No comments:

Post a Comment